Word Tamer - it is visually a very pleasing site with a real feeling of adventure! You have a 'live' narrator who guides you through the process of your story.
You can choose:
- your character's traits
- their hair
- their eye colour
- their size, etc.
You are then led on to jot down information about your character:
- where they live
- what they like
- what they don't like
- who there friends are, etc.
You can choose a few words to incorporate into the story too. I think that I will try this with my older children this term!
The other one I liked, I think may be more suited to younger children, but, having said that, I felt like writing something seeing the funny combinations that popped up! This is from Story Starters.
- Enter your name
- Then pull the "SPIN" handle
- Each section comes up with an idea
- If you don't really like the idea, you can press the button in that section for a "Re Spin"
- From there you select the format you want your writing to take: "Notebook, Letter, Newspaper or Postcard"
- Begin to write
- There is also a space for budding illustrators should they wish to add a drawing
So often children's stories are tied in with their favourite movie, or TV program, even their characters are, at times, a re-hash of a character that they already like.
This is why I love these ideas. I feel TV has had a negative impact on our imagination and so I like the idea of re-engaging imagination and fantasy - We will be surprised what our children come up with, I am sure!